Tweens & Teens
COVID-19 Safety: ATSA has put safety procedures into place to protect our patients, staff, and community. Masks, social distancing, plexiglass, and frequent cleaning of surfaces, rooms, and toys are routine. Click here to read more.
Level 4 Group
Group Therapy for Tweens & Teens is another advanced intermediary outpatient group at ATSA. The group will provide cognitive behavioral therapy (CBT) to teens and tweens coping with anxiety. Therapeutic goals include increasing knowledge about the relationship between brain and behavior, increasing mindfulness of how one reacts to stress/anxiety, and learning how to identify and apply adaptive coping instead of anxious avoidance.
Learning in a group of other tweens and teens with similar experiences will allow your tween/teen to see they are not alone. Feeling a part of a group is important for a preadolescent's/adolescent's social development, ego development, and identity formation. For children with a history of selective mutism and/or social anxiety, or other anxieties, socializing with peers can be challenging, especially in a culture where more quiet personalities are often misunderstood. Gaining a better understanding of anxiety and how to cope effectively can help your tween/teen feel more prepared to face the challenges of adolscence.
The group is considered Level 4 in our group therapy hierarchy at ATSA. Click here to learn more about our group therapies and levels.
The prerequisites for Level 4 groups are as follows:
- Must have completed sessions at ATSA within the last three months, including at least one peer session (1:1 Child to Therapist ratio) or group session (1:3 Child to Therapist ratio).
- Demonstrates the ability to separate from parent(s) after a 5-10 min warm up during individual therapy session and group therapy session.
- Demonstrates the ability to respond directly to Group Therapist in the presence of a peer during the Preview Session.
- Demonstrates the ability to interact verbally with limited assistance by the Group Facilitator at the Preview Session.
Readiness for this group can be demonstrated by the following:
In the Past 6 months:
- Previous experience in a lower level group therapy (e.g., Come Play, Courage Club, Social Thinking Group, etc.) is an indicator of readiness for this advanced group
- Has participated in Adventure Camp or Winter Adventure (1:1 Camper to Counselor ratio)
- Has participated in level 5 Social Exposures Group (1:5 ratio) at ATS
If you are not sure if your child meets these prerequisites, talk it over with your child's therapist. If it has been over three months since your child has been in treatment at ATS, then a refresher session may be necessary to reacquaint your child. If it has been over six months since your child has been in treatment at ATS, your child will need to complete a re-evaluation. If your child has never received treatment at ATS, and you think this group is ideal for your child's needs, please contact ATS at 630-230-6505 to set up an intake evaluation or click here to request an appointment.
What to Expect
1 Preview Session + 5 Group Sessions = 6 Total Sessions
The purpose of a preview session is two-fold. First, it allows your teen/tween a chance to see what the group is about and see who else is registered before committing to the full 6 sessions of group. Secondly, it allows the clinician to assess whether or not your child is ready for this group.
All patients are to wear a mask!
If you forget to bring one, don't worry, we have extras!
Group sessions are billed as 60-min sessions. Click to register and see associated fees, which covers 6 total sessions. There is a Preview Session, followed by the Group Sessions. If you cancel before the Preview Session, you will be refunded for the full fee amount less a $25 administrative fee.
If your child attends the Preview Session and it is determined that he/she needs more therapy before participating in this level group, you will be refunded for the rest of the group sessions, and no administrative fee will be applied. Insurance CPT code is 90853. Statements will be provided to those who wish to submit to their insurance for reimbursement.
GROUP SESSION 2021 DATES
Wednesdays, 5:00pm - 6:00pm weekly
March/April Group: Wednesdays, 5:00 pm-6:00 pm
4/7 (Preivew), 4/14, 4/21, 4/28, 5/5, 5/12
Virtual Format via Zoom