College Summer Internship in Psychology
Recruitment for 2021 now open!
Serve as a "confederate" in therapy sessions, collect data, and serve as Psychologists' assistants in this innovative organization that treats phobias in children. Apply early for this competitive internship!
Opportunities and Responsibilities
- Receive weekly Professional Development Seminars focused on graduate school preparation, including hearing presenters talk about their graduate school path in various disciplines (social work, psychology, education, etc.) to help you decide your own path
- Learn about the logistics of graduate school funding and how to minimize student loans
- Gain a better understanding of the various graduate school paths and life after graduate school
- Participate in weekly Intern Group Meetings focused on learning about group process
- Attend a 2-day selective mutism training seminar
- Serve as “confederates” in therapy sessions for children with selective mutism
- Assist the ATSA Team with daily clinic duties and routine
- Gain experience in completing phone intakes and triage of calls
- Have the opportunity to submit abstracts for conference presentations
- Gain experience in marketing a psychology practice, including social media outlets
- Serve as a psychologist’s assistant during ATSA’s Adventure Camp for children with selective mutism
- Complete your internship by gaining hands-on clinical experience working directly with children at Adventure Camp!
Round 1: Priority
Application Deadline: January 10, 2021 11:59 pm CST
Interview Dates: February 1 - 28, 2021
Notification Day: March 16, 2021 5:00 pm CST
Round 2: There is no round 2 for 2021 applications.
Training and role-playing our confederate roles with new safety parameters in place.
2020 Intern Moments
COVID-19 didn't stop us! ATSA shipped Chromebooks to interns so they can start their internship remotely! Our motto for the summer of 2020: "We always find a way!"
Illinois makes it to Phase 4 in the fight against COVID-19. We're so excited that this is our last day of remote internship! Chicago, here we come!
Masked and socially distant? Thumbs up! Internship moves from remote to in-person!
During one of our Professional Development Seminars (held outside for safety), we loved learning tips and advice from the Ph.D. Clinical Psychology NIU graduate student panel!
- 3.5 cumulative GPA or higher is recommended, open to all majors (psychology majors strongly preferred)
- Outstanding oral and written communication skills
- Organized, responsible, and interpersonally effective
- Strong critical thinking skills
- Ability to work well independently, with minimal supervision
- Ability to work collaboratively among a team of interns and staff
- Ability to intern June 7th - August 14th, Tuesday - Friday, 9am - 5pm (with extended hours during Adventure Camp week)
How to Apply
Please submit the following:
- Cover letter
- Personal Statement (maximum 1 page; please include a photo of yourself)
- College Transcript
- 2 letters of recommendation, with “Recommendation for [NAME]” in the subject line
NOTE: Only when we have received your submission and letters of recommendation from your references will your application be considered complete and eligible for review.
If you're pursuing a career in psychology, You will soon discover that doctoral programs in clinical psychology are extremely competitive.
Round 1 application deadline is Nov 30th!
Learn more about Adventure Camp!