College Summer Internship in Psychology
Congratulations to the six ATSA 2021 Summer Interns! Welcome John, Iris, Mary, Mckenzie, Gillian, and Kiara!
We are so proud to have you be a part of our team.
Serve as a "confederate" in therapy sessions, collect data, and serve as Psychologists' assistants in this innovative organization that treats phobias in children. Apply early for this competitive internship!
Opportunities and Responsibilities
- Receive weekly Professional Development Seminars focused on graduate school preparation, including hearing presenters talk about their graduate school path in various disciplines (social work, psychology, education, etc.) to help you decide your own path
- Learn about the logistics of graduate school funding and how to minimize student loans
- Gain a better understanding of the various graduate school paths and life after graduate school
- Participate in weekly Intern Group Meetings focused on learning about group process
- Attend a 2-day selective mutism training seminar
- Serve as “confederates” in therapy sessions for children with selective mutism
- Assist the ATSA Team with daily clinic duties and routine
- Gain experience in completing phone intakes and triage of calls
- Have the opportunity to submit abstracts for conference presentations
- Gain experience in marketing a psychology practice, including social media outlets
- Serve as a psychologist’s assistant during ATSA’s Adventure Camp for children with selective mutism
- Complete your internship by gaining hands-on clinical experience working directly with children at Adventure Camp!
2021 Timeline is completed.
2022 Timeline is being scheduled.
Round 1: Priority
Application Deadline: January 10, 2021 11:59 pm CST
Interview Dates: February 1 - 28, 2021
Notification Day: March 16, 2021 5:00 pm CST
Round 2: There is no round 2 for 2021 applications.
Training and role-playing our confederate roles with new safety parameters in place.
2021 Intern Moments
Interns have a variety of tasks at ATSA such as preparing for Adventure Camp, organizing files, answering phone calls, and all interns’ favorite -- being confederates in therapy sessions! Pictured here are interns Iris and Gillian being confederates in a telehealth session.
ATSA finished our 2021 counselor training with a big success! All the counselors and interns are ready and excited to start their work during the Adventure Camp! We can’t wait to see our campers and make this summer meaningful and fun!
During orientation week, the interns learned about ATSA’s values and responsibilities, practiced CDI and VDI skills, and became trained through HIPAA. On the last day, the interns were surprised by a fun team-bonding activity -- an escape room challenge!
- 3.5 cumulative GPA or higher is recommended, open to all majors (psychology majors strongly preferred)
- Outstanding oral and written communication skills
- Organized, responsible, and interpersonally effective
- Strong critical thinking skills
- Ability to work well independently, with minimal supervision
- Ability to work collaboratively among a team of interns and staff
- Ability to intern June 7th - August 14th, Tuesday - Friday, 9am - 5pm (with extended hours during Adventure Camp week)
How to Apply - Deadline Jan 10
Please submit the following:
- Cover letter
- Personal Statement (maximum 1 page; please include a photo of yourself)
- College Transcript
- 2 letters of recommendation, with “Recommendation for [NAME]” in the subject line
NOTE: Only when we have received your submission and letters of recommendation from your references will your application be considered complete and eligible for review.