Level 2 Group
Courage Club Therapy Group is ATS's advanced beginner group. The group is designed to continue to foster the generalization of verbal and social skills in a peer group setting. This group is intended for children who have received outpatient individual therapy and have reached the goal of responding directly and consistently to their primary therapist. Children must also demonstrate the ability to repsond to the group therapist during the preview session. Therefore, this group is appropriate for children who are ready for the next level of group exposures or who can benefit from specific social/peer activities to help maintain treatment gains. Currently, ATS has a fall (Halloween-themed) and winter (Holiday-themed) Courage Club.
The prerequisites are as follows:
- Has established a consistent verbal relationship with their Primary Therapist.
- Must have completed sessions at ATS within the last three months, including at least one peer session (1:1 Child to Therapist ratio).
- Demonstrates the ability to separate from parent(s) after a 5-10 min warm up during individual therapy session and group therapy session.
- Is able to respond directly to Group Therapist in the presence of a peer during the preview session.
Readiness for this group can be demonstrated by the following:
- Previous experience in group therapy (e.g., successfully participated in Come Play is also an indicator of readiness for this advanced beginner group.
If you are not sure if your child meets these prerequisites, talk it over with your child's therapist. If it has been over three months since your child has been in treatment at ATS, then a refresher session may be necessary to reacquaint your child. If it has been over six months since your child has been in treatment at ATS, your child will need to complete a re-evaluation. If your child has never received treatment at ATS, and you think this group is ideal for your child's needs, please contact ATS at 630-230-6505 to set up an intake evaluation or click here to request an appointment.